Monday, July 16, 2012

Grown Up Things

Never did I realize that I would be to the point in my life where I would be saying and doing grown up things.

Now, I'm only 19 years old, but I am to the point where I am saying, "I remember when I was your age...." or, "When you grow up..." or even holding a mature conversation with a grown up about politics. Yuck!

Now, as far as doing grown up things, that is why I am up at the time I am, on my day off. Rarely am I up before 10 am, sometimes even as late as noon, on my day off. This morning I was up at what seemed like the crack of dawn (8 am), to go and have my car inspected. Not only that, but this afternoon I have to run errands. Errands such as, going to the chiropractor, getting new tags for my car, picking up my prescriptions for the upcoming mission trip, and gathering other assorted items for the trip.

I can hear it now, real grown ups everywhere saying, "You call that running errands? Try grocery shopping, paying bills, taking your children to the doctor!" I admit, these errands aren't all stressful and time consuming, but they are things that fill my day with running.

In the midst of the chaos, it is hard to find time to dwell on the blessings that these errands really are. I am blessed to be able to do all of these things. In some countries, such as Haiti, people can't drive cars, or go and get a back adjustment when they feel out of whack, or go and purchase prescriptions to prevent malaria. I am blessed to have these things to fill my day.

In fact, most children in other countries are doing much more adult like works in order to support their families. All I am required to spend my hard earned money on is myself and the things I need. I say "hard earned," as if I were farming in the hot, dry sun with no real equipment to make the job easier.

I am so blessed in fact, that even though it seems as if I have plenty of things to do to fill my day, I am still able to find time to dwell on the Maker who offered these blessings to me. I am able to sit down on my soft quilted bed, with a warm cup of coffee and the cool air conditioning to add to the comfort of it all. And to top it all off, I have the day off from working. I am so truly blessed to be able to seek the peace and stillness my Savior has to offer me. I have the time to be a child of God in a world that constantly says, "Grow up!"

"I Will be a Father to you, and you will be my sons and daughters, says the Lord Almighty."
~2 Corinthians 6:18~

"Therefore, brothers, we have an obligation - but it is not to the sinful nature, to live according to it. For if you live according to sinful nature, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live, because those who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God. For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by Him we cry, 'Abba Father.' The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit, that we are God's children. Now if we are children, then we are heirs - heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share his glory."
~Romans 8:12-17~

"We are God's children." We are the sons and daughters of the Maker of the Universe, the one who created the world, who knows the beginning and the end. The Father that can give huge blessings to such a tiny me.

I am blessed to be able to cry out to my Abba Father, when the grown up things of this world become seemingly too much to handle. I am blessed to have quiet time to sit down, stand up, sing, dance, and praise my God. I am blessed that I have nourishing food, and a place to sleep at night. I am blessed because I have the power to change someone's life, even if it is just one. I am blessed because I am obligated, not to sinful nature, but to that of the Holy Spirit which gives me this beautiful life.

I am blessed because I am A Work in Progress.


Blessings,
Symone (Daughter of God)

2 comments:

  1. Very powerful Symone! I love how you ended this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Tina! I hope you are feeling and healing well! I wore my pink lipstick for you. :)

    ReplyDelete