Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Haiti: The Hopeful

At this rate, it might be next year before I finish retelling Haiti. I hope you will forgive me for taking such a long time between each of these posts. A lot has happened in the last month. As usual, school is kicking me in the rear. It's like I will never be ahead at this point unless I spend every waking minute studying and doing homework. But then I also have work, which I WILL NOT complain about. At least I have a job, and I love the ladies I work with. But now, on top of all of that.... I am planning my wedding!!!! It's not as if everyone reading this doesn't already know that, but it's still exciting, and I want to tell you again.  :)

So here we are... I promised in the last post that I would share about The Hopeful. It's been almost 2 months since the trip, but let's see what I can pull up for you.

....................................................................................



What does it mean to be hopeful, or to have hope? For some, it's, " I hope I get an A on that paper." or, "I hope I get that promotion or raise." For others, " I hope I get the job, so I can provide for my family." And then we have, "I hope God does work here."

Someone asked me a week or so after the trip what I thought of Haiti and the people... I told him, "They are better off right where they are." *Gasp* Did I just cross a line? I don't think so. Because when I think of being hopeful, I think of someone who has nothing left to rely on. Someone who only has GOD. And some of these people in Haiti... have.... nothing. All they have is hope that God will show up and give them what they need for that day.

Yeah, Haiti is a dirty, immoral, corrupt place. For crying out loud, there number one religion is Vudu. They worship the devil!!! But there are people who have a heart for God, that I can only dream of having...

I have tried to imagine what life would be like for some of these people if they came to live in America. Someone would give them clothes, a nice bed to sleep in, cook them dinner, and maybe even find them a job. But then they would turn into the rest of us. The rest of us who rely on clothes, and shelter and food and MONEY! They would begin to rely on these things, and the hope that I saw in these people would start to wither away. "Well God brought me to America, and gave me all of these blessings, and now I'm so busy, and I'm making money, and I...." They would become a part of this vicious cycle where we rely on ourselves...

When I was in Haiti I saw hope. I saw people who had nothing. I saw people praising God for a bench to sit on in church. I saw people who didn't even need a bench, because their worship was so deep, that they could climb no higher than their knees...

We hear people ask all the time, "If God is good, then why do people suffer?"

"And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to His eternal glory in Christ, will restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you."
~ 1 Peter 5:10 ~
 
For me personally, when I suffer, or when my heart is breaking, that is when I hope in God the most. Because clothes, food, money... None of these things can get me through the suffering. If my God has the strength to move mountains, then surely He can calm an aching heart.
 
"I have told you these things so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."
~ John 16:33 ~
 
 
Sometimes we aren't always placed in the ideal conditions or situations... But my prayer is that you are hopeful. That you are thankful for what you have, that you trust His provision for the things you need, and that you remain hopeful for the plans that he has for you.
 
"For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord. 'Plans to prosper you and not to harm you. Plans to give you HOPE and a future."
~ Jeremiah 29:11 ~
 
Sorry everyone, no pictures for this one... How do you capture hope...?
 
Until next time, let your hope change you, and mold you in Him. I know that's what I will be doing, because I am A Work in Progress.
 
 
Hopeful,
Symone Lin

1 comment:

  1. Hope in God is an amazing thing. When I visited Ecuador I saw the same thing. Sometimes I wonder if our being American and living here in America we easily forget the reality of how much we need and can have that hope, rather we place our hope in so many other things.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete